Reski continually stresses the Mafia organizations insidious nature in Italy and abroad as she visits town after town where the mob controls everything from politics to the church. While her expertise is never in doubt, Reski s mixture of personal anecdotes and reportage often leaves the reader wishing she d commit to one or the other. Der Italiener an meiner Seite. Palermo Connection.
Interview: Petra Reski, author of The Honoured Society
Sulla strada per Corleone. I have transcripts of German investigations into the Mafia, Italian investigations, ones by the federal police and by public prosecutors. Compared to Italy, Reski points out, police in Germany — and, she adds, Scotland too — have far fewer tools with which to take on the Mafia. In Italy, Mafiosi can be bugged both in public places and in their homes, be jailed for Mafia membership, and have their property confiscated if there is even a suspicion of their involvement in organised crime. If they want to set up money-laundering businesses, in other words, there is every incentive for the Mafia to do so outside, rather than inside, Italy.
The Honored Society
Such a town is Corleone. A total of murders took place there between and alone. Reski had no such familial assistance: the roots of her interest lay instead in those fighting it. These were, she says, days of hope. As Giovanni Falcone [the legendary anti-Mafia public prosecutor assassinated in ] always said, the Mafia is a human organisation and as such it has a beginning and it will have an end.
At the time, I believed that. Now I realise that the Mafia is much, much bigger and more powerful than I ever imagined.
The Honored Society : A Portrait of Italy's Most Powerful Mafia - tuvawesije.tk
Perhaps it is only because she has had a glimpse of what a Mafia-free Sicily could be that she has written about the Mafia ever since. The men and women who courageously stood against it — people like anti-Mafia politician Letizia Battaglia and her beautiful photographer daughter Shobha — became her friends.
The political became personal. And that, for me, is the strength of her new book. There is no shortage of books about the various branches of the Mafia, and few yawning gaps in our knowledge of its history, especially of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra.
- The Honored Society: A Portrait of Italy's Most Powerful Mafia!
- The world’s most global mafia;
- Fuzzy Math: The Essential Guide to the Bush Tax Plan?
- The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker!
- Advanced Web and Network Technologies, and Applications: APWeb 2008 International Workshops: BIDM, IWHDM, and DeWeb Shenyang, China, April 26-28, 2008. Revised Selected Papers.
She takes them with her, to Sicily and the deep south of il bel paese. Enter your keywords. Author s :. Release Date:.
January 8, Buy on Amazon. Reviewed by:. George de Stefano.
- The Honored Society: A Portrait of Italy's Most Powerful Mafia by Petra Reski.
- Sport and Recreation in Ancient Greece: A Sourcebook with Translations;
- a book review by George De Stefano: The Honored Society: A Portrait of Italy's Most Powerful Mafia.